Saturday, 26 July 2025

"Third Class, First Class Destiny: God Rewrote my Story”

        

       Twenty-three years ago, July 2002, was supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life. At the University of Ilorin, over 5,000 graduates were gathering with their families, dressed in radiant robes, ready to take pictures, share laughter, and soak in the pride of accomplishment. Parents were smiling wide, hugging their children, taking pictures to frame forever, and introducing their graduates to friends like trophies proof of years of sacrifice finally paying off.
       But not me. I stayed in bed, wishing the day not to come. My name wasn’t on the list. I hadn’t made the graduation roster. I could hear my mother’s voice in my head, disappointed but not surprised: “All you do is go about town singing. You need to take your education seriously.” That voice haunted me. I wasn’t lazy. I worked hard. My life followed a strict triangle hostel, lecture theatre, fellowship. Repeat. I wasn’t partying. I wasn’t distracted. Yet I didn’t make the cut.
       The following year, I finally graduated, quietly, without fanfare, without pictures or parents cheering. Worse still, my transcript showed a third-class degree. “No one hires with that,” someone told me. “Forget about getting into grad school.” I believed them. And I froze. For over a decade, I lived under the shadow of that piece of paper. I sang in church. I served. I lived. But I also felt stuck. Ashamed. I buried my dreams deep under layers of self-doubt.
       Then in 2015, a quiet miracle happened. While processing transcripts for an evaluation in the UK, a woman in the admissions office caught something, a mistake in the classification of my degree. “This isn’t right,” she said. Her curiosity turned into advocacy. That single act, by someone I didn’t even know, cracked the door open again. Light began to flood in. Hope, that old companion I had stopped believing in, began to rise.
       Fast forward to 2025: I completed my Master’s degree in Teacher Leadership at the American College of Education, with distinction not just academically, but personally. Along the way, I became a song writer, a mentor, a coach, a curriculum designer, and a leader advocating for multilingual students. I’ve presented at conferences. I’ve co-led professional learning hubs. I’ve written. I’ve healed. I’ve led.
       But perhaps the most compelling part of this story isn’t just mine, it’s my mother’s. At fifty years old, after raising all her children through college, my mom went back to school to earn her high school diploma. Then she earned a degree in education. But she didn’t stop there she started a school in her community for underprivileged children, creating opportunities she never had. Her resilience taught me that it's never too late. That failure is not the final chapter. That the setbacks we carry might just be the seeds of our greatest comeback. Like mother, like daughter.
I’ve faced closed doors, bad transcripts, and seasons of silence. But here I am writing, teaching, leading, and lifting others as I rise.
       This is not just about me. It’s about you, dear reader. Maybe you’re a Gen Z woman, struggling to find your path in a noisy world. Maybe you’re from Generation Alpha, just starting out but already feeling behind. Or maybe you’re a woman in your 30s, 40s, or 50s who has quietly buried her dreams because life got in the way family, finances, fear. Maybe you were told you’re too old, too late, or too broken to begin again.
       I’m here to tell you: your story is not over. You can start again. You can rise again. You can dream again. Your mistakes don’t define you. Delays aren’t denials. The world needs what only you can bring. Thankfully, I was inspired by the Lord to write a lot of songs during those seasons. Check my YouTube channel. Let my story be your permission to believe again.
       I’m ready to share this journey on bigger stages TED Talks, podcasts, schools, churches, conferences wherever people need a reminder that your worst moment doesn't disqualify you from your best future.
If this story stirred something in you, let’s connect. Invite me to speak. Share this blog with a friend who’s on the edge of giving up. Reach out to me if you’re trying to find your path again, I’m rooting for you.
You’re not late. You’re right on time for your come back.

Contact Me or Scan the QR code

📧 womenwhofollowjesus@gmail.com      

💻 https://modynasty.blogspot.com/

📱 Follow me on: YouTube: www.youtube.com/@olukemiadeniyi

56 comments:

  1. Hallelujah!!!
    This is similar to my story!
    We celebrate you ma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pastor. Praise God. God is in our story.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Pastor Kemi, your story just inspired me not to loose faith and fear should not be a determining factor but God should. Thank you once again and congratulations ma.

      Delete
    3. Praise God! Lets keep hope alive. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. Mr Moshood Olayinka26 July 2025 at 03:47

    Dear Ms Adeniyi, I have just finished reading your piece this Saturday morning in Nigeria. I am very happy and proud to know you has my colleague in Education.
    You surprised during our last awards ceremony when you sang and lifted your audience spirit. You are a highly talented singer and a very smart Science teacher loved by your learners. You greet me with respect on the school all ways and endured my funny jokes.
    Keep on moving up while you inspire the less privileged and hopeless.
    Is a Blessing knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Olayinka,
      Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful message, it truly made my day! I deeply appreciate your warm words and support. It means a lot to know that my efforts in both teaching and connecting with others have had a positive impact. Our shared dedication to education is what inspires me every day, and having colleagues like you makes the journey even more rewarding.
      I’m grateful for the joyful moments we’ve shared, from the school hallways to the times we’ve laughed at your jokes, they truly brighten my day! It’s a blessing to know you as well, you are humble, kind, always looking out for other young educators and I look forward to continuing to work together to uplift and inspire our learners. Enjoy your summer and come back with some kulikuli, groundnuts and crayfish.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whao! So proud of you ma. Congratulations!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EMMANUEL A OSIBERU26 July 2025 at 09:07

    Whao! So very proud of you ma. Biggest congratulations!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...mercy still speaks even when you do not believe or expect it! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir! We thank God from whom all blessings flow. I appreciate you sir.

      Delete
  7. A big congratulations dearest sister, keep soaring higher, from glory to greater glory in Jesus Mighty Name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sis. Congratulations to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aderonke Owolabi26 July 2025 at 10:00

    Congratulations to you and your mom!!What a great way to start my Saturday morning. I have been encouraged, and challenged. There is hope for me 😆The journey of life is filled with various obstacles, challenges, etc., I’m glad you resolved not to allow such to debar you from achieving your dreams. I pray for more successes ahead of you👏🏾👏🏾🌹💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you pastor for your thoughtful feedback and prayers. Amen ma.

      Delete
  10. Adewale Adeoye26 July 2025 at 10:14

    Congratulations Sis mi… More wins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallelujah, God be praised!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anuoluwapo Babalola26 July 2025 at 10:39

    Congratulations ma…this is so encouraging, what a great way to start the weekend.
    More of God’s divine grace and blessings ma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Abayomi Modupe26 July 2025 at 12:16

    Thank you Jesus, It's been a journey of faith indeed. Your story is a faith booster. Jesus resurrected dead faith back to life and turned the mockery to glory, hallelujah congratulations sis. #proud brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. for your kind feedback. Your story inspires me too. Proud sister of prof. Engineer. Oluwaseun!

      Delete
  14. Abi Akinmutimi26 July 2025 at 12:30

    When you serve God, He turns your story around. Congratulations my pastor. This is just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Pastor Kemi. Great story and testimony. I pray the Lord grant all your hearts desires, grant you more favor and open more doors to impact lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uche #proud lil sis26 July 2025 at 14:37

    Big Sis!!!!!!!!!
    This is such a an inspiring journey and uplifting testimony...
    I'm encouraged to push, push and push again....
    I'll share my testimony soon by God's grace and this write-up will certainly be part of my story.
    God bless you my mentor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama 3, Glory to God forever more! I am waiting for your testimony hun.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations sis thank God for your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Glory be to God. More singing. 🎤🎶🎶🎸. You are blessed and highly favored. Greater heights in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you pastor Babajide. God bless you sir. Amen.

      Delete
  19. Congratulations ma

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sister from my other mom, hearty congratulations ma. We are super proud of you, keep up the great work, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Won't He do it? A sure testament of God's never-failing love and faithfulness. I rejoice with you dear friend . It's all the way up from here henceforth! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - Yetunde Akinlabi

      Delete
    2. Yetunde oremi atata, God bless you for your feedback.

      Delete
  22. Dear Readers,
    I want to thank you for your kind feedback. I do not take it for granted.
    I give God the glory for everyone who has been inspired and resolved not to give up.
    I am waiting for your mighty and landmark testimonies.
    Keep making Jesus famous in whatever He has entrusted into your hands.

    Olukemi Adeniyi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chinwe Azubuike27 July 2025 at 11:59

    Congratulations, sis.
    Such an inspiring testimony. May God enlarge you still and multiple your testimony in many lives in Jesus's Almighty name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so much mummy Azubuike for your prayers.

      Delete
  24. This is a reminder not to let a degree, a comment, a mistake, a circumstance define us. A call to rise in-spite of because there is a force to excel in each of us. There is help if only we would not give or settle for the label we have been called by others. Still we rise!!!
    Thanks for sharing ma. God bless. Oluwadamilare Yusuf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this powerful reminder! Your words are incredibly inspiring and a call to embrace our inner strength and potential, no matter the challenges or labels imposed by others.

      Delete
  25. Awesome - Amazing matriach of the Mo dynasty - super proud of you. God bless you. God bless your work in His vineyard - God bless your home. Big hugs to our outstanding Ambassadors and hats off to my Brother. Congrats dearie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Liz,
      I remember the first time you echoed Mo dynasty, when the boys were born, it stuck with me. I have used it since then. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement to rise above and recognize the greatness within ourselves.

      Delete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Kemi🎉Awesome testimony and inspiring.Your best is still yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations my sister, I’m so proud of you! You lead the pack! Your resilience and perseverance is admirable! May the favor of God continue to follow you in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mrs. Ajenifuja, thank you for your feedback and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. God bless you sis, your testimony has just given me hope to dream again.

    ReplyDelete